Your Friday Five: Some Real Fools
April 1, 2011
“Fools are the only ones who have got to cry…”
Besides Google’s giggle worthy “Helvetica” prank today, April Fool’s Day on the web is well… a yawn. But songs about fools? YES, PLEASE.
- Sure, “Chain of Fools” is F’in’ fantastic, but I love the easy, breezy, way that Aretha gives the lover who spurned her the big F You. Oh, and as a bonus, Neko Case covered this, and gives it more of a whiskey soaked barroom feel.
- There are a few soul singers that don’t get enough ink spilled about them, and O.V. Wright is one of them.
- And here’s another of the singers I wish got more play: Lorraine Ellison. Listen HERE for a bit more foolishness. “Fools Are the Only Ones Who Have to Cry”
- Paul Burch gives us more of a celebration of fools. “Life of a Fool”. Have I reccomended that you go out and buy a Paul Burch album yet? No? Well get the heck to it. I love country singers who can really croon!
- Oh, The Stone Roses… I’ll spare you all the drooling, blathering chow-chow about how they burnt out too fast. They left one genius album, and that’s more than most bands can say. I’ll take it! One of the few Brit bands that can really make me shake my ass. Dig that back beat fools!