Your Friday Five: Fall On Me
November 5, 2010
Buy the sky and sell the sky
- Cocteau Twins – “Cherry Coloured Funk”. This song is 20 years old and it sounds like it walked out of a misty forest yesterday. This is in my top 10 favorite songs ever. No matter how many times I hear this, I still feel drunk and woozy and giddy. The lyrics are surreal bits. “Beetles and eggs and blues and pour a little everything else/ You steam a lens stable eyes and glass/ Not get pissed off through my bird lips as good news” Lovely. Can I curl up in those leaves outside with this on an endless loop please?
- Sam Cooke – “Lost and Looking” I probably could have thrown any of Sam’s ballads in here. But this song lends itself particularly well to walks alone with headphones on. Windy fall day is optional, but it sure doesn’t hurt.
- Broadcast – Tender Buttons. Broadcast make being moody sound nice and sexy.
- R.E.M. – “Fall On Me”. A little vintage R.E.M. A young, shirtless and dewy Stipe sells this song hard even though it sells itself. A fantastic, bittersweet anthem.
- Beach House – “Zebra”. I want Beach House to sing me to sleep every night.