Your Friday Five: Cover Me
October 8, 2010
I’ll miss you when I’m lonely/I’ll miss the alimony too.
- Neko Case – “Don’t Forget Me” (Harry Nilsson) The thing about Neko Case is that she understands dark and light. Comedy and tragedy. Whites make blacks look darker and vice versa. In this cover, Ms. Case adds just the right amount of gravitas to this bittersweet Nilsson masterpiece. The Walkmen and Marianne Faithfull also do right by this tune.
- Tarnation – “Little Black Egg” (The Nightcrawlers) LISTEN HERE. Tarnation take this garage rock classic and give it a heafty dose of high plains twang. It still rocks though. Totally bitchin’.
- Big Star – “Femme Fatal” (The Velvet Underground) I like this better than the original! Alex Chilton’s voice sounds like it’s about to just come undone any second. This whole version trembles. Far more disarming than the Nico’s performance.
- Fol Chen – “The Beautiful Ones” CHECK IT OUT HERE. Most covers of Prince songs suck. I mean really, really, really suck (I see you, Foo Fighters). But this manages to put a charming spin on one of my fave tunes by Mr. Prince Rogers Nelson. Not nearly as sexy as Prince, but the sentiment stays intact.
- Wooden Shjips – “Drunk Girls” (LCD Soundsystem) SanFrancisco drone lovers take the synthy dance epic and make it sound like Neil Young took a few ‘ludes and tried to cover this song with a bunch of stoners who got their hands on an old organ from a roller rink. In other words, it rules.