All Combat Takes Place in the Rain at Night and at the Junction of Four Map Segments
May 28, 2010
Random bits of dialog I’ve incorporated into my daily lexicon.
- separate incidents – whenever two unrelated ideas are introduced in the same sentence, conversation or whatever. From: The Big Lebowski. Example. “This gum makes my teeth hurt. We should watch that documentary on B-way.” ooh, separate incidents.
- It’s producing, that’s what it is – pompous acknowledgement – in a seemingly modest way – of one’s exceptional talents upon having another person explain in tedious detail just exactly what was accomplished and how amazing each element was. From: Wag the Dog.
- He’s in the cab! – used whenever someone is engaged in some stereotypical behavior or to highlight someone else’s observation of it. From: Men in Black. For example, when I crack open my laptop and set down my coffee mug I smile and think I’m in the cab! like so many other writers around the world engaged in the same activity.
- Now, they’re getting it. – expression of exclamation when someone arrives at what they believe is some esoteric bit of wisdom, despite being steered towards it in a captain obvious manner. From: Wag the Dog. “Cnn is running a story about how it’s expensive to be poor. NOW They’re getting it.” 99.8% of cases it’s used in sarcastic manner.
- I want something sexual! – stated after someone has provided what they believed to be a “juicy” detail, particularly when they’ve described it as such. Must be said with copious amounts of righteous indignation. From: The Contender and said by Sam Elliot’s character.
- 1/10 scale model – to illustrate the illusion of an element being discussed. From: Wag the Dog. “We shot that in a studio in Falls Church, Va – 1/10th scale model”. Must use this hand gesture and delivery style
- Luther, if it makes you feel better I’ll always think of you that way – uttered whenever someone’s long held self belief has been shattered, usually a less than positive character attribute. For example, “I’m such a flaming jerk, but these kids I’m working with think I’m a great.” … “Luther, if it makes you feel better, I’ll always think of you that way.” From: Mission Impossible (1996).
- Thermopolis will just have to wait – procrastination verbalized. From: 1001 Rabbit Tales and uttered by Daffy Duck.
- Heat up the oil, the colonel’s chicken’s got company – long winded way of saying, Oh SNAP. “Mel Gibson is in trouble again. Heat up the oil, the colonel’s chicken’s got company.” From: 1001 Rabbit Tales.
- yes, have some – sheepish acknowledgement that one either did not understand 90% of the conversation, has no productive response or just plain wasn’t listening. From: Ghostbusters.
- [doing an] endive salad – boasting about accomplishments of a dubious nature. Example: in my about me section – along with legitimate accomplishments – I boast of winning the 1983 Fire Prevention Week Poster Contest, which while certainly being the case, was not in fact a highlight of my life or even that year. From: Tootsie.
a version of this entry originally appeared on Snarky’s Machine