Would Someone Please Explain the Reason for This Strange Behavior?
My top ten favorite Duran Duran songs.
1. “Skin Trade” – Notorious
- When it comes to songs evoking Prince my response is yes, please and thank you.
2. “Bedroom Toys” – Astronaut
- Duran kicks it Maze Feat. Frankie Beverly style. That “you want it/you got it/now whatcha gonna do with it” kills me. Oh I love it. Oh my god, what’s this?
3. “Vertigo (Do The Demolition)” – Notorious (yeah, it’s my favorite LP of theirs too)
- I have no idea what’s being done here musically, but that bass is driving me nuts. And the lyrics of this song are so freaking good. It also reminds me of a friend I had in high school who kind of sounded like Boomhauer and I was the only person who could understand her. I don’t believe she was from Texas though. She loved this song.
4. “Union of the Snake” – Seven and the Ragged Tiger
- I can’t hear this without thinking of Darcel – only dancer anyone remembers from Solid Gold. She did some really cool dance around those white pillars with the gold piping and I have never forgotten it. I think there were like three pillars. It was some kind of snake-y dance. SG was not known for its subtlety.
5. “The Chauffeur” – Rio (NSFW)
- Ahh, baby’s first goth song! Didn’t we all cut our fangs on this phat jam? All together – SIIIINNNNG BLUUUUUE SILLLLLLVER! I loved that organ grinder breakdown part. That was real cool. Oh yeah, that vid is most definitely NSFW. Titties a go go!
6. “Come Undone” – Duran Duran/The Wedding Album
- Call me a poseur or a false fan if you wish, but Duran Duran giving us their best Sade is all right with me. You know I love me a Helen Terry-esque back up vocalist and Simon hasn’t ever sounded better to me. And well, he tends towards vocal styling than actual singing. Nothing wrong with that. Just don’t go a concert expecting something different. Mellows will be harshed. He’s definitely gotten to be a stronger vocalist, but he ain’t never going to be Boy George. Nice of him to finally let someone else tackle those hard to reach notes.
7. “The Reflex” – Duran Duran
- WHHHHY don’t you use it? I love that whiny cats-fighting-in-an-alley bridge.
8. “Some Like It Hot” – The Power Station
- I love how Palmer is better at being Le Bon than Simon! All in a vicar’s outfit. Palmer always makes me howl with his “pushing you to decide” hand gesture. It’s so great. It’s a good song to cha cha yourself around the house or on a treadmill. What a voice! Sorely missed. OT. I tend associate Saratoga Springs, NY with getting bummer musical legend news. Poplife and I were in a music shoppe there when we found out Palmer had died. And I’m pretty sure I was in that same music store or the Border’s next door when I heard about Johnny Cash!
9. “Election Day” – So Red The Rose
- Being a completest, I seem to own this LP, which I renamed “So Stinky the Record”, but this song’s pretty tight. It seems to have as much to with elections as Rock me Amadeus has to do with Mozart. I guess there’s a connection, though not literal.
“Electric Barbrella” – Medazzaland
- I am one of those Medazzaland proselytizers and I’ll leave it at that.